Macintosh Imaging over the network
From CSS Wiki
This is still an experimental procedure, and is not ready to production use.
- Open the Terminal and enter these commands.
defaults write /images/asr "Data Rate" -int 4000000 defaults write /images/asr "Multicast Address" 184.108.40.206
These steps are only required once, per server. The values will also depend on the network the server is located on. Do not use this multicasting setup on the campus network.
Create an Image
You can't boot from drive the image will be taken from.
- Plug firewire cable into laptop containing updated image
- Hold down T as you turn the laptop on until Macintosh HD appears as a drive on the iMac desktop.
- Select Utilities -> Disk Utility
- Select Macintosh HD
- Click New Image
- Save To Images folder, as a Compressed image with No Encryption. Save as newimage.dmg, and enter the appropriate image number, such as "newimage5.dmg"
Prepare the image
- Open the Terminal
- Enter this command:
asr -imagescan newimage5.dmg (replace 5 with the appropriate image number)
The system will then scan the image to make sure it is ready to be used with multicasting. This process also modifies the file in a way that is required for multicasting.
Imaging a laptop
Starting the Multicast Server
- Open the Terminal and enter these commands. You should replace newimage5.dmg with the image number you are on.
sudo asr -source /images/newimage5.dmg -server /images/asr.plist Enter password when prompted.
Connect the client
- You can't boot from drive the image will be put on.
- Plug the laptop in, and plug in an ethernet cable
- Boot from MacOS X CD 1 (Hold C until the loading symbol appears below the Apple)
- Choose English
- In the top menu, go to "Utilities" and open the Terminal and enter this commands.
asr -source asr://192.168.2.1 -target "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" -erase
- A message saying "Erase contents of (/Volumes/Macintosh HD)?" will come a few lines later. Press Y and enter
Disconnect the client
- Quit the installer.
- Restart the laptop.
- Eject the disk.
Stopping the Multicast Server
- Press CTRL + C
- If the image fails during the write to the client, you will need to erase the local hard drive.
- Close the Terminal.
- Go to Utilities, Disk Utility.
- Select the Macintosh HD.
- Click Erase.
- Make sure the name says Macintosh HD.
- Click Erase. Click Erase.
- Close the Disk Utility.
- Attempt to image the client again.