Adding Customers to ResDB
From CSS Wiki
Please follow the procedures listed below when entering customer information into the Reservations Database. It is strongly recommended to utilize the UW Directory while entering customer information. You may also find it beneficial to bookmark the directory in your browser for faster searching. Please also remember to confirm with the customer that the information listed in the directory is still correct.
- Customer: The customer name should be entered in first name then last name order. For example, one should type "John Smith" instead of "Smith, John." Customer names should be complete and include both a first and last name while also being mindful of correct capitalization. Single name and/or generic entries (eg: PSYCH 101) are forbidden. If you are unsure how to spell a customer's name, please look them up in the directory or ask for the correct spelling (eg: John or Jon). Please do not hesitate to confirm spelling with the customer. Additionally, one should refrain from entering titles such as "Professor, Prof., Dr., Mr., Ms., etc." If a person prefers to be addressed by their title, please make a note in the Additional Info field rather than entering "Dr. John Smith" (or any other variant) in the Customer field.
- Contact: A contact is defined as a person who has been authorized by the customer to make changes to their reservation. Please remember to follow the same guidelines as mentioned above for the Customer field.
- Address1: The first address field should be used to record the customer's University box number or, for an off-campus customer, the street address. Examples include: "Box 353095" and "4545 15th Avenue NE." When entering a University box number, please be sure to precede the number with "Box." Please avoid the following variations "353095, box 353095, or Box# 353095." When entering an off-campus address, please be sure to record just the street address in this field (city, state, and zip code should be entered in the Address2 field). It is important to use standard abbreviations when entering off-campus addresses. For a complete list of US Postal Service abbreviations, please click here.
- Address2: This field should be left blank for campus customers. For off-campus addresses, please enter the city, state, and zip code in this field. An example of a proper off-campus address entry would be "Seattle, WA 98105." Please make sure to enter all three pieces of information with proper punctuation and capitalization.
- Phone 1: This field should contain the customer's primary phone number. If it is a campus customer, please list their campus phone number in the standard abbreviated format only (eg: 3-9900). For a reference of University prefixes, please click here. For off-campus customers, please enter the area code and full number separated by hyphens only (eg: 206-543-9900).
- Phone 2: This field should contain the customer's secondary phone number. Alternatively, if a contact has been designated, please enter their primary phone number in this field. Again, be sure to keep in mind the proper formatting for both campus and off-campus phone numbers.
- Fax Number: The fax number field should be used to record the customer's fax number only. Please keep in mind the proper formatting for both campus and off-campus phone numbers.
- E-mail Address: Customer e-mail addresses should be complete and entered in full at all times. University e-mail addresses should be entered with the user name followed by "@u.washington.edu." Please be mindful of spelling and confirm with the customer by reading their e-mail address back to them.
- Organization: Use this field to note the customer's University department or, if off-campus, company. Most University department names should be preceded with "Department of."
- Type: This pull-down menu should be used to indicate whether the customer belongs to a University department, Registered Student Organization, or off-campus organization.
- Advisor: If you have selected "Student Group" from the type pull-down menu, please record the Registered Student Organization's advisor in this field. The advisor's name and University box number should be recorded in the following format: "John Smith, Box 353095." If the customer does not know who their advisor is, you can find that information listed here.
- Additional Info: The additional info field should be used to store additional customer information such as title preference and/or contact information. This field is also an appropriate place to store the contact's information.